The Cal Poly TESL Certificate Program is a non-degree certificate training program for preparing prospective instructors to teach English to speakers of other languages (TESOL). Specifically, the program addresses theoretical, pedagogical, and methodological issues and contexts for teaching English as a second language (ESL) and English as a foreign language (EFL) and is ideal for those who plan to travel abroad and would like to have help preparing for English teaching positions.
The TESL Certificate also serves as a segue to advanced training and education in TESOL for students who decide to pursue an MA or PhD in TESOL, applied linguistics, or a related field. The program attracts undergraduate and graduate students from across campus, including those studying in English, Modern Languages and Literatures, Liberal Studies, Education, and Child Development, among other areas.
TESL Concentration Students Will:
- Choose 4 courses - 16 units required – 8 upper division.
- Check for pre-requisites before enrolling.
*Students are encouraged to complete a TESL certificate.
Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL)
Advisor: Dr. John Battenburg, Office: Bldg. 47-35D, Phone: 756-2143, email: email@example.com
- ENGL 390: The Linguistic Structure of Modern English (4)
- COMS 416: Intercultural Communication USCP (4)
- ENGL 497: Theories of Language Learning and Teaching (4)
- ENGL 498: Approaches to Teaching English as a Second Language/Dialect ( 4)
- ENGL 499: Practicum in Teaching English as a Second Language/Dialect (2) (CR/NC)