Liberal Studies: We Open Minds
Cal Poly’s Liberal Studies Department creates the teachers of tomorrow. Our alumni are high-quality elementary school teachers with a distinctive edge in the arts, science, technology, and mathematics. Liberal Studies students graduate with a bachelor of science degree that puts them on the fast track to a teaching credential.
The Liberal Studies Department’s partnership with Cal Poly’s School of Education means our students can receive a California teaching credential with two additional quarters of study.
The Department of Liberal Studies ensures that prospective elementary teachers have excellent content foundations in all subject matters, deep understanding of effective teaching methods and multiple opportunities to reflect on their learning and teaching. The department does this by providing students the opportunity to develop (1) broad-based proficiencies in multiple fields including, but not limited to: science, mathematics, language arts, social studies, technologies, and the fine and performing arts; (2) a sophisticated appreciation of the inter-relatedness of multiple disciplines as they are brought to bear on large historical and contemporary themes.
Our Learning Outcomes
Upon graduating, Liberal Studies students will:
- Demonstrate subject matter mastery, pedagogical, and professional knowledge.
- Demonstrate ability to translate theory into practice to foster learning, mentoring and leadership.
- Understand relationships of one discipline to another; intergrate the content of one discipline into another.
- Establish collaborations and partnerships to enhance professional practice and student success.
- Demonstrate ability to engage in change, tolerance and inclusion, advance principles of social justice, equity and ethical practice.
- Demonstrate reflective practice to uphold professional standards and enact a disposition for personal growth and advancement in education field.